2/28/2019 8:47 PM
Styling wigs is no easy feat. Whether it is natural, curly or pin straight, wigs can elevate or destroy a look quicker than you might imagine!
But don’t fret! You can overcome this, even if you are a beginner. Many women in the world today wear wigs for different reasons. Below are some reasons why many women of different ages wear wigs and how it benefits them:
- Styling versatility: Many human hair, lace front wigs can be colored, permed and styled just like your own natural hair.
- Human hair wigs come in a variety of textures as well as colors, so you can match your own texture very closely if you are looking to match your hair piece to your existing natural looks.
- With proper care, human wigs can far outlast their synthetic counterparts.
- Natural Look: Human hair wigs feel great and can look incredibly natural.
...so, how does one style a human hair wig?
This is actually much less complicated than many would think. In 5-6 easy steps, you can have a perfectly styled human hair wig!
Here are the steps you should follow the first time you are styling a wig:
- Cut the Lace: Some lace front wigs come with precut lace, but for the ones that do not the lace must be cut. This is a delicate process that takes a steady hand, a good pair of scissors and a lot of patience. Cut away about a quarter-inch of the lace all around the front and sides of the wig. Do this using long, fluid scissor strokes to avoid jagged edges. It is best to cut away small portions of lace instead of all of it at once, since cutting away too much lace will ruin the wig.
- Define the part: Use a wide tooth comb to create a part on one side of your hair or follow the hard parting that your hairstylist has previously cut in. If you are completing this process without the aid of a hairstylist, put the wig on your head and decide where you want to part the hair. Be sure it is centered, and try a few different options before you commit!
- Styling, on or off a head: Now some women prefer to style their wig on their own head, while others prefer to put it on a styrofoam or metal wig stand and style it that way. Regardless of your preference, a wet wig is easier to style. Wet styling is the best method for styles like roller sets and perm rod sets. Styling foam and serums are usually applied on wet hair to smooth it out. Remember to be gentle as you do not want to cause any stress to the bonds holding the wig together.
- Dry the hair: Gently blot hair with a towel. To restyle your human hair wig, you may use a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron on low heat settings only or use electric rollers on a medium setting.
- Add some shine to your style: Try using some shine serum by beautimark to smooth out the hair and add some natural shine. This step will also help to extend the life of your wig!